Thursday 24 July 2008

Moving In

It's February 2004 and myself, my partner and step-son are moving into our new home in Chessington.

I pay the agents, Mountfords, the sum of £1,180 as deposit. This equates to a month and a half's rent.

The inventory clerk comes round before we move in and reads the utility meters and prepares a report on the state of property. Generally it's not in too bad a state although a pane of glass in the front porch door is cracked, probably due to the door being caught in the wind rather than any deliberate damage, the back room has some peeling paint on the ceiling. The garden is overgrown and full of weeds, but it is February so it's never going to be great.

The patio door lock is broken. It broke while we were viewing the property when I tried to open the door - I was pushing it with one finger at the time. The breakage is reported on the inventory.

We were moving because the landlord of our previous home in Tolworth had decided to sell. I had lived there since 1996 after moving in with my (now) ex and three children. They now live in nearby Surbiton, in a house also let through Mountfords, strangely enough.

Our previous landlords agents, Lords, arrange for the return of the deposit as we leave.

None of have lived in Chessington before and are looking forward to it. My stepson's school is in Tolworth and we're hoping to not have to change schools as he's had enough disturbance in his short life. My partner and I have been together for about 8 months at this point so moving into a new home together is a big step for us both.

No comments: